Farmhouse Friday: Our House Plans

Happy Friday! I’m excited to do a little series called “Farmhouse Friday” where I hope to share (on Fridays ;)) some of the most asked-about parts of our #teasleyesenchantedforest build, and maybe one day posts about the next house we build as well.

Without a doubt, we get the most questions about our house plans. And, having perused pinterest and lots of house plan websites recently as we start dreaming the next one, I can see why. It’s so hard to find a lot of the things we loved about that house!

For starters, if you want this plan, you’ll need to talk to the folks at Nelson Design Group. By the way, they recently did a super kind write-up on Nic as one of their featured home builders, and we are so grateful!

We found this plan years ago — like before we ever bought our first house! It’s so funny to think back to the fact that we bought house plans not knowing when we would ever build! However, somewhere along the way, Nic convinced a client to build this house. It helped so much to walk through it in person, and it helped us pick out all the changes we wanted to make.

Here are a few, if you’re looking at the original plan pictured above:

• We opened up the kitchen. This was my choice for #1 best decision for us in this house. We LOVED LOVED LOVED the open floor plan, and it was perfect for entertaining.
  • We added a couple of feet through the middle of the house. With the open kitchen, we didn’t quite have enough living room space, so we added a foot or two.
  • We shifted the powder room 90 degrees since we did not have basement stairs, which made for a larger drop zone/kids nook.
  • We had a slightly bigger laundry room and reconfigured the garage a little bit.
  • We moved some closets and walls upstairs, and finished out all the space pictured on the plans, with the middle room as the bonus, and the far right room as my office.
  • The biggest change of all is the desk area in the guest bedroom upstairs. We made this a doorway, moving the entrance to the bedroom, and finished out the space above the garage (adding a window) for Nic’s office.

Kitchen opened up, with island.

Bonus Room, looking toward the back of the house.

Nic’s office, above the garage.

Still have questions? Feel free to comment and I’ll be happy to answer them as I am able! We loved working with Nelson Design Group and are so grateful for their help. No, they did not sponsor this post… we just love working with them! 🙂

1. Allie says:

It all flows together so well! What paint colors did you use throughout?

• Meredith says:

Allie! So sorry for the delay. The majority of the house was Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter… the kids’ rooms and the upstairs were all Sherwin Williams agreeable gray! And our trim was pure white!! I’ll try to work on a blog post with every color listed.

2. Sarah Dailey says:

Hi Meredith! I love you home and using as a “guide” to build my families soon to be home– mainly your beautiful exterior color choices! We were going to renovate our farmhouse and decided to tear down and re-build. We have decided to go with the cape cod style and then desire to make it more farmhouse esq with the shed dormers and metal roofing. We cannot afford to have the whole roof metal so when I came across your house I was elated to say the least! Ultimately this will be better for us! Anyways, this is probably a random question, but what color is your metal roofing and roof colors? Thank you so much!

• Meredith says:

Hi Sarah! So fun to see your comment!! I actually was JUST working on an exterior design choices blog post scheduled for this Friday!! So be sure to check back then! 🙂 I know the budget can make things tricky, but I hope you love your selections as much as we did!!

3. Margot says:

What type of wood is your front door made out of? Did you stain it?

• Meredith says:

Hi Margot! The door is FIR, and the stain is dark walnut, by minwax!

• Sonja Ahlquist says:

Hi! I came across your house plans as we are currently building a house. I LOVE the style of your front door, and was curious where you ordered it from? It is my favorite style i’ve come across 🙂 Thanks!

4. Lisa Wrightson says:

Hi Meredith! My husband and I are building a very similar house. Could you please tell me if the shed roof dormers are just for looks and open into the attic only or do they actually open into the house. If they open into the house I’d love a picture to see how they were finished inside. Thanks for sharing your lovely home!